How to Repair Disk Errors
Your computer's hard drive can develop bad sectors the more you use it. Bad sectors in your hard drive affect performance and can make writing to the disk very slow and frustrating. The Error Checking utility scans the hard drive for bad sectors, and scans for file system errors to see whether certain files or folders are misplaced.
You should run this utility once a week to help prevent data loss.
To run the Error Checking utility:
- Close all open files.
- Go to Start, and then go to My Computer.
- In the My Computer window, Right click the hard disk you want to search for bad sectors, and then click Properties.
- In the Properties dialog box, click the Tools tab.
- Click the Check Now button.
- In the Check Disk dialog box, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check box, and then click Start.
- If bad sectors are found, choose to fix them.